The liver is the second largest organ in your body, the largest being your skin, of course. It makes perfect sense that both organs are important for the anti-aging process.
Without proper function of the liver, we can only survive one or two days if it shuts down. The rest of your body depends on the liver, and because it is very strong, it can function when 75% is deceased or removed by regenerating new liver tissue from healthy liver cells. It is also very important for digestive health because it filters the blood from the digestive tract, which is then transferred through the rest of the body. Furthermore, the liver allows for proper blood sugar level control, and is very critical for detoxification, clearing chemicals and toxins from the body. After the carbohydrate digestion process, simple sugars (glucose, galactose, and fructose) are absorbed into the bloodstream, and the blood circulates to your liver; these simple sugars then fuel your body for energy.
There are many liver conditions that are detrimental to your overall health, including hepatitis, liver cancer, fibrosis, cirrhosis, and liver failure. Because the liver is so essential for the body, it makes sense that natural treatments, like anti-aging herbs, are preferred.
How Your Liver Ages
There is a reduction of blood supply to the liver after the ages 20 and 25 for females and males respectively. The liver’s detoxification and metabolic abilities are also reduced in the process, which means that as you get older, it is harder for your body to repair inflammation damage caused by chemical exposure (from food or the environment), alcohol, and viruses. Also, after the age of 60, there is a reduction in the number of liver cells the body produces. An 80-year-old has half the liver cells that someone at 40 produces.
The Best Anti-Aging Herbs for Your Liver
Herbs are the perfect plant-based remedy, with natural healing and restorative abilities straight from the earth. Here are a few highly recommended anti-aging herbs for proper liver function. For optimal healing results, it’s best to take any anti-aging herb in its natural form.
• Anti-Aging Herb #1: Milk Thistle – Milk thistle is considered a top detoxification anti-aging herb for the liver, as it noticeably helps protect liver cells from toxic damage, and it helps stabilize blood sugar levels. It has been an essential anti-aging herb for liver disease for more than 2,000 years, and nearly 400 studies have been published on the matter since the late 1960s. The usual dosage of milk thistle is 150 to 300 mg, or two to three tablets daily if necessary.
• Anti-Aging Herb #2: Licorice – Commonly used for candy, licorice as an anti-aging herb has incredible liver protecting abilities. Licorice and milk thistle are both known to help prevent hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver. This anti-aging herb also acts as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial in the digestive tract, helping eliminate potential bacterial toxins. During detoxification, licorice also protects the intestinal walls.
• Anti-Aging Herb #3: Artichoke Leaves – Artichoke leaves are another very effective anti-aging herb cleanser for liver detoxification. Artichoke will also act as a liver defense from toxins, while reducing cholesterol. The anti-aging herb is instrumental for stimulation of bile secretion and bile tract flow. This is important because bile around the liver can cause damage. It is best to use six grams daily for attaining this anti-aging herb’s healing properties.
• Anti-Aging Herb #4: Dandelion Root – Dandelion is a very useful anti-aging herb for the liver, as well as other digestive treatments. It’s similar to artichoke, in that it increases bile flow while also allowing for a speedy detoxification. One cup of dandelion root tea (one to two teaspoons) is recommended in the morning and night.
• Anti-Aging Herb #5: Chicory Root – Chicory root is best in tincture form, adding 20 to 40 drops to water three times daily. Other options are drinking chicory root tea, as well as using the anti-aging herb as a roasted coffee substitute. However you prepare your chicory root remedy, it’s a great anti-aging herb for nourishing the liver.
Bridgeford, R., “Top 5 Herbs for Liver Health,” Energise Alkaline Diet Blog web site; http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpress/2006/08/04/top-5-herbs-for-liver-health/, last accessed December 4, 2013.
“Digestive Disorders Health Center,” WebMD web site; http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/picture-of-the-liver, last accessed December 4, 2013.
Foster, S., “The Best Anti-Aging Herbs: Herbs for the Liver,” Mother Earth Living web site, January/February 2000; http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/best-anti-aging-herbs-herbs-for-the-liver.aspx#axzz2l0X3kS9f.
Haas, E., et al, Staying Healthy with Nutrition: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine (New York: Ten Speed Press, 2006), 37, 269, 766-769.
“How Does the Liver Change When We Get Older?” SinoMedResearch.org; http://www.sinomedresearch.org/hcv/articles/c6_aging.htm, last accessed December 4, 2013.
The Anti-Aging Guy, “Learn Your Liver,” The Anti-Aging Guy web site, May 3, 2013; http://theantiagingguy.com/learn-your-liver/.
“Top Ten Anti-aging Herbs and Spices,” Nutrition Advice Co. web site, December 17, 2008; http://www.nutritionadvice.co/top-ten-anti-aging-herbs-and-spices/.
“Your Liver and How It Works,” Hepatitis B Foundation web site; http://www.hepb.org/pdf/the_liver.pdf, last accessed December 4, 2013.
Weed, S.S., “Anti-Cancer Lifestyle…Nourishing The Liver The Wise Woman Way,” Wise Woman Herbal Ezine with Susan Weed web site; http://susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/June06/anti-cancer.htm, last accessed December 4, 2013.