We’ve talked a lot about the best anti-aging foods for younger, healthier-looking skin, but it’s just as important to know which foods to steer clear of. A lot of people focus on having a top-notch anti-aging skin care routine, but then don’t pay attention to their diet, which may include foods that can actually age skin faster. Here’s a list of some of the worst foods for anti-aging skin care.
• Rice Cakes: These were once touted as one of the best anti-aging foods for weight loss, because they’re so low in calories. While that’s true, rice cakes really provide no nutritional value. They’re also bad for anti-aging skin care, because they contain the type of simple carbohydrates that your body metabolizes the same way it does for sugar, by converting the carbs to glucose. That’s why rice cakes spike your blood sugar levels, which is bad for anti-aging skin care because glucose sticks to and can damage the proteins that prevent wrinkles, like collagen.
• Fruit Juice: A lot of people believe fruit juice is better for your anti-aging diet than soda. But most store-bought juices are loaded with sugar, sometimes just as much as what’s in soda. This is bad news for anti-aging skin care, because like the carbohydrates in rice cakes, sugar gets converted to glucose in your body, which can then impact collagen, which your skin needs in order to retain its youthful elasticity. However, all natural freshly squeezed juice can boost your anti-aging skin care routine, especially if you use fruits that are high in vitamin C.
• Salt: You’ve probably heard that eating too much salt isn’t good for your health, but it can also affect your appearance, especially around the eyes. Excess causes the body to retain water, which can then lead to visible swelling or puffiness. Because the skin under your eyes is so thin and delicate, it can swell very easily. This means you’re more likely to see puffy bags under your eyes, which certainly isn’t going to work with your anti-aging skin care routine to make you look younger and more rejuvenated.
• Bagels: They’re high in refined carbohydrates, which we already know is bad for anti-aging skin care because of the way your body metabolizes it into glucose, which in turn can destroy collagen proteins. The high carb ratio in bagels can also contribute to inflammation in the body, and the oxidative stress that occurs as a result can lead to the development of lines and wrinkles over time.
• Coffee: Too much caffeine can dehydrate your skin, because it has properties of a diuretic—in other words, it makes you pee more. So what does this have to do with anti-aging skin care? Well, when your body is dehydrated, that means your skin is, too. Dry skin is more prone to wrinkles, not to mention the fact that it looks duller and more washed out. There’s a reason beauty and anti-aging skin care experts stress the importance of drinking water to stay hydrated. Furthermore, a lot of people add sugar and cream to their coffee, and when you’re drinking more than one cup a day, all of that excess sugar and fat adds up, which only further inhibits your anti-aging skin care routine.