From wrinkles and sagging skin to dry and brittle hair, there are anti-aging home remedies for just about every age-related problem you can think of. While some anti-aging home remedies are nothing more than myths and old wives’ tales, others have been shown to actually work. And the best part about these anti-aging home remedies is that they’re made from all-natural ingredients, many of which you probably already have lying around your house.
Anti-Aging Home Remedies for Your Skin
Whether they erase lines and wrinkles or conceal age spots, all anti-aging home remedies share one ultimate goal: to make you look younger. Your skin is your body’s largest organ and is one of the first parts of your body to give way to the natural aging process. Unfortunately, your skin also happens to be the first thing people see when they look at you.
Many people find that their skin becomes more sensitive as they get older, making it especially vulnerable to the harsh chemicals and preservatives that are added to many skin care products. That’s why anti-aging home remedies are so useful—they’re completely natural, so you know exactly what you’re putting on your skin, and they can still be just as effective as commercial anti-aging skin care products.
Here are three easy anti-aging home remedies for your skin.
• Yogurt Facial: Plain yogurt is a popular ingredient for anti-aging home remedies for the skin because it’s high in lactic acid, a form of alpha hydroxy acid that tightens pores and helps your skin cells regenerate. Studies have shown that when used in anti-aging home remedies, lactic acid can encourage the production of collagen and elastin, which are the two building blocks of wrinkle-free skin. Yogurt also contains zinc and vitamins A and C, whose antioxidant properties protect your skin against the free radical damage that causes wrinkles.
There are a few different anti-aging home remedies that include yogurt, but it works just as well on its own—just apply it on your face, leave it for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. For extra exfoliation in your yogurt-based anti-aging home remedies, add oats; for extra moisturizing, add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil; and to help brighten skin, add a few drops of lemon juice.
• Apple Cider Vinegar Toner: There are plenty of ingredients that double as anti-aging home remedies for facial toners to help improve the look of skin that has lost elasticity over the years. One popular item is apple cider vinegar. Because of its acidity, apple cider vinegar works as a natural astringent in anti-aging home remedies and renews your skin’s natural pH balance so that it isn’t too oily or too dry. Fill a small spray bottle with one part apple cider vinegar to two parts water. If you’re going to be using apple cider vinegar in any of your anti-aging home remedies, look for the kind that still contains the “mother”—this is a beneficial ball of enzymes, bacteria, and nutrients that you’ll see floating in the bottle.
• Coconut and Lemon Scrub: Anti-aging home remedies that focus on exfoliating are important for your skin as you get older, because they increase blood circulation and get rid of the dirt and dead skin cells on the surface of your skin. Exfoliating also improves the function of your other skin care products—if you apply them after exfoliating, they’ll penetrate your skin better. Here’s one of the easiest anti-aging home remedies for a scrub: combine a half-cup of coconut oil (you can substitute with grapeseed, almond, or olive oil), two tablespoons of granulated sugar, and one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Massage the mixture into your skin using small circular motions. Then wipe it off with a damp washcloth and rinse your face with cold water. Anti-aging home remedies like this one will leave your skin looking fresh, rejuvenated, and instantly younger.
Anti-Aging Home Remedies for Your Hair
As you get older, your hair will start to slowly change, too, and it isn’t just a matter of seeing gray strands. Do you notice your hair feeling thinner and drier, or more brittle and prone to breakage? These are all signs of aging hair. While certain products and styling tools will only exacerbate the problem, anti-aging home remedies can work wonders to strengthen strands and restore a more youthful look and texture.
Here are three anti-aging home remedies to infuse aging hair with renewed shine, body, and strength.
• Avocado and Honey Mask for Dry Hair: Avocados aren’t just for guacamole; they’re perfect for anti-aging home remedies too, because they work as a deep conditioner, thanks to their high protein, natural oils, and vitamins A and B. Honey is a humectant, which means it naturally attracts moisture and locks it in, which is what dry hair needs. Mix a half-cup of honey with two tablespoons of mashed avocado. You can also add a bit of extra virgin olive oil to anti-aging home remedies with honey to reduce some of its stickiness. Apply the avocado-honey mixture to clean, damp hair and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it out.
• Beer Rinse for Limp Hair: You probably wouldn’t think of beer as an ingredient in anti-aging home remedies for your hair, but it works well to add body, fullness, and even shine to limp hair because of all the yeast in it. The trick to using beer in anti-aging home remedies for your hair is to make sure it’s flat first. One option is to use it as a leave-in conditioner by pouring it into a spray bottle and spritzing it on clean, towel-dried hair before styling. Alternatively, add a teaspoon of sunflower oil and one raw egg to a half-cup of flat beer. Lather it on to damp hair, leave it in for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it out with cool water.
• Raw Egg Treatment for Breaking Hair: Just like your body needs protein for strength, so does your hair, which is why you might see a lot of anti-aging home remedies that use eggs. The yolk is rich in fat and protein, while the egg white contains enzymes that help get rid of unwanted oils on your scalp. This is one of the easiest anti-aging home remedies. Simply beat an egg (use two if you have long hair) and apply it all over wet, shampooed hair. Rinse it off with cold water after 15 minutes.