Uneven skin tone is characterized by pigmentation or discoloration on the surface of the skin. There are a few different factors that can cause these dark spots to appear, but regardless of how it starts, discolored skin can be unsettling to look at and can make you appear older than you really are. That’s why a lot of men and women are in search of ways to fix uneven skin tone on the face and body.
How to Fix Uneven Skin Tone
The good news is that you have plenty of skin care solutions at your disposal, from natural home remedies to professionally administered procedures. However, the first step in trying to fix uneven skin tone is figuring out what the underlying cause is. This is important to know, because treating uneven skin tone from sunburn is different from addressing hormone issues. The three most common causes include sunburn, hormones, and scarring.
When trying to fix uneven skin tone, it’s also important to know which skin care solutions will work best for you. Everyone’s body reacts differently to certain treatments. For instance, if you have very sensitive skin, you’re not going to want to use abrasive or harsh treatments; you’ll probably be better off sticking to a natural remedy for uneven skin tone.
Home Remedies for Sunburn and Other Natural Remedies for Uneven Skin Tone
The most common concern is uneven skin tone from sunburn; sun damaged skin is the leading cause of discoloration. When your skin comes in contact with UV rays, your body naturally produces a substance called melanin, which helps to absorb some of the heat and protects the skin from UV damage. But too much sun exposure can lead to too much melanin production, which pigments excess skin cells that clump together and form discolored age spots. If you limit unprotected UV exposure and wear sunscreen regularly to protect against sun damaged skin, you won’t have to worry as much about how to fix uneven skin tone from sunburn later on.
If you’re already struggling with discoloration from sunburn, uneven skin tone home remedies can definitely help. Here are a few natural skin care solutions to try:
- Lemon Juice + Water: The acidity in lemon juice can help to minimize the appearance of darker patches of uneven skin tone from sunburn, but you need to dilute it with water so it doesn’t burn. Mix one part freshly squeezed lemon juice with five parts water. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and gently dab it on sunburned areas. After about 10 minutes, rinse with cool water.
- Brown Sugar + Olive Oil: This is an easy recipe for a homemade exfoliator. The sugar grains help to gently slough away dead skin cells to reveal the healthier skin underneath, while the olive oil helps to restore moisture.
- Aloe Vera: This is one of the more popular go-to skin care solutions when it comes to finding a natural remedy for uneven skin tone from sunburn. For starters, aloe vera can reduce some of the skin inflammation associated with sunburns, according to some studies. The plant also has a strong moisturizing effect, which can also help to fix uneven skin tone.
- Yogurt: It’s believed to be one of the better skin care solutions because of the lactic acid content, which many experts believe can work as an exfoliator on the top layer of skin; this can help to reduce the look of blemishes. Yogurt also has a cooling effect on skin, which is useful when it’s sunburned.
- Vitamin C: This is a natural remedy for uneven skin tone that works even when it’s eaten. Vitamin C is essential for collagen production, which your body needs to maintain healthy skin. It was also shown in a 2013 study to be an effective short-term treatment for melasma, a skin condition characterized by hyperpigmentation, when applied as a mask.