Our skin looks and feels different as we progress through different stages of our life. Your body goes through physiological age-related changes, and those changes are often reflected on the skin’s surface.
Skin care in your 20s is incredibly important because what you do—or don’t do—now can affect how your skin looks in the future. Skin care in your 20s has a lot to do with maintaining skin health, because right now, your skin is probably in its healthiest state. You’ve passed the hormonal teenage years and your skin cells are generating at an optimal rate. Your collagen and elastin fibers are more than sufficient, so your skin looks firm, hydrated, and radiant. Even still, you’re not off the hook from taking up anti-aging skin care in your 20s.
Not all women come off scot-free. Common concerns for skin care in your 20s might include breakouts, acne, clogged pores, and oily skin. This could be the result of hormones that are still fluctuating, or because you aren’t using the right skin care products for your skin type. For instance, if the routine for skin care in your 20s includes exfoliating twice a day but you have normal skin, you may be drying it out too much, forcing your oil glands to overcompensate—hence the pimples.
If you tend to ignore skin care in your 20s because you think you’re too young to be worrying about it, you’re not alone—a lot of women feel the same way. But anti-aging skin care in your 20s is about prevention, not repair. By adapting a pro-active regimen for anti-aging skin care in your 20s, you won’t have to worry about trying to fix a load of skin problems when you’re in your 30s, 40s, and 50s.
You’re never too young to start looking after your skin, so there’s no time like the present to incorporate a routine that covers all of the bases for anti-aging skin care in your 20s. Doing this now will ensure you have younger looking skin for the years ahead.
Mastering Skin Care in Your 20s
- Just because you don’t see sun-damaged skin now, it doesn’t mean it’s not happening—you’ll see the damage later in life. One of the most important habits for skin care in your 20s is sunscreen. If you know you’re not going to actually apply it everyday, make sure your moisturizer has at least SPF 30. Like sunscreen, it still needs to be reapplied every two hours. Sun protection is a huge part of skin care in your 20s.
- For skin care in your 20s, it’s important to use a gentle cleanser to remove dirt and oil that builds over the day. Don’t use anything too harsh or abrasive. Facials cleansers that are free of fragrance, alcohol, and oil are always better. It’s also important to match your skin type.
- Your eyes often show the first signs of aging: fine lines, crow’s feet, dark circles, and bags under the eyes. For skin care in your 20s, it’s worth investing in a good eye cream with caffeine to reduce puffiness.
- For skin care in your 20s, you should also always remove your makeup before going to bed. Sleeping with it on can clog pores and lead to breakouts. Your skin repairs itself while you snooze so make sure it’s clean before calling it a night.
- Exfoliate twice a week. Facial masks are also good for skin care in your 20s—do it right after you exfoliate for best results.