A festive Christmas season means a little romance sometimes. Kisses under the mistletoe and matching the seductive red Christmas lights are part of this. If you’re going to be part of this, it’s good to have a great winter lip color. When considering lipstick makeup trends and the festive colors for Christmas to choose from, there are reds but also other shades beyond that more standard lip color.
Deep Reds and Beyond
Red is the winter lip color of Christmas, period. Sure, green, white, and blue fit into the holiday season, along with a lot of metallic colors. But it’s safe to say winter lipstick colors 2016 are all about scarlet. There’s a huge selection of the latest lipstick shades of red; remember these lipstick color names:
- Clarins Rouge Eclat Lipstick in Red Fuchsia—A bright red for the popular pout look today.
- Barry M. Lip Paint in Pillar Box—A strong red color, almost a cherry color.
- Lancôme Rouge in Love Lipstick in Rouge Saint Honore—Lancôme’s bright-red lipstick, it is almost the same color as Christmas holly.
- Dior Diorific Shock Color Matte and Metallic Lip Duo in Ardent Shock—While this is more of an orange color, this Dior winter lip color is great under Christmas lights and works well in the summer season as well.
Reds are varied in color so they can match all skin tones. There are lipstick colors for brown skin, white skin, and all other shades. However, you might have to be your own guinea pig to discover which ones work best for you. Seeing how they match your hair as well will help you select the most fitting color for you.
To go beyond red, consider:
- Bobbi Brown Scotch on the Rocks Lip Color in Malt Shimmer and Beige Gold Shimmer—This is a metallic set of gold and beige, and it is great for those evening Christmas parties and dinners.
- Lipstick Queen Silver Screen Lipstick in Made It—Darker, almost purple in color, this is a nice variant of red and still fits with the season’s colors.
Seal and Protect
Not only are there lots of winter lip colors for this Christmas season, there are some real lipsticks for winter. That is, the best lipstick for dry lips, sealing and protecting the lips during the harsh, dry winter. For instance, try the Urban Decay “Lipstick Revolution” line. It consists of 22 fashionista-approved colors that protect lips in the winter months.
Aguilar, C., “The Lipsticks Trend for Winter 2016 2017,” She Look Book, web site; December 3, 2012; http://www.shelookbook.com/lipsticks-trend-for-winter.html
Temple, D., “20 Lipsticks (To Get You in the Mood for Christmas),”. Glamour Magazine U.K. web site, December 11, 2014; http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/lipsticks-for-christmas