Double chin exercises are often ignored, since people don’t view them as a weight loss exercise; but there’s something unsightly about a double chin. It can make a normally beautiful face unattractive. What’s more, it may lead some to assume that you’re overweight and out of shape, when in fact, your double chin may just be caused by water retention. As well, anyone who has lost a large amount of weight has had to contend with loose skin, which can also give the appearance of a double chin. Finally, it should be noted that having a double chin may have nothing to do with your weight, as a double chin can often be hereditary.
Regardless as to why you have a double chin, keeping the skin of your face toned is just as important as keeping the rest of your body in shape. And with these simple double chin exercises, you can tone the muscles of your face and jaw, firm up the skin along your jaw line, and get rid of the excess fat, reducing the unsightly look of a double chin and giving you a slim, streamlined profile.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin
1. The Chin Lift
If you’re looking for double chin exercises that help to stretch and tone the muscles of the jaw, neck, and throat, the chin lift is your best option. To perform this exercise, simply follow these steps:
1. Stand or sit with your back perfectly straight
2. Tilt your head back, so you’re looking directly up at the ceiling
3. Pucker-up like you’re going to kiss the ceiling
4. Hold this puckered position and count to five, then release
5. Repeat this exercise five to 10 times in a row
Note: for the best results, try not to move other facial muscles when performing this exercise; just use your lips.
2. The Neck Roll
Of all the double chin exercises, this one has the added benefit of helping to relax tense shoulders and relieve neck pain. To perform the neck roll, follow these steps:
1. Once again, stand or sit with your spine perfectly erect
2. Gently turn your head to one side while inhaling until your chin touches your shoulder; you should be looking directly to one side when you do this
3. Slowly roll your head downward while exhaling until your chin is resting on your chest; remember to keep your back straight and your shoulders square
4. While exhaling, gently lift your head back up toward the shoulder opposite to the one you began with
5. For the best effect, you should repeat this process five to 10 times
3. The Jaw Release
Out of all the double chin exercises, this one works the muscles of your face the best, since it involves the muscles closest to your chin. To perform this exercise, follow these easy-to-follow steps:
1. Stand or sit with your back perfectly straight
2. Inhale deeply through your nose, then exhale while humming with your lips tightly pressed together; while you inhale and exhale, move your jaw as if you were chewing
3. After you’ve exhaled, open your mouth as wide as you can, then inhale and exhale through your mouth, making an audible “ahh” sound.
4. For the best results, repeat these steps five to 10 times
4. Platysma Exercise
If you’re looking for double chin exercises that will keep the muscles of your throat and chin firm, this is the best one.
1. Sit or stand with your back perfectly straight
2. Turn the corners of your mouth downward, while pulling your lips back against your teeth.
3. Open your mouth slightly to activate the muscles of your jaw. Keep your lips pressed firmly against your teeth, while keeping the corners of your mouth turned down. The tendons in your jaw should stand out. To be sure, perform this exercise in front of a mirror
4. Move your jaw up and down five to 10 times
Other Ways to Eliminate Your Double Chin
In addition to the double chin exercises provided, there are methods you can use to reduce your double chin.
Your exercise regimen shouldn’t stop at double chin exercises. It should also include a full-body workout with weights and cardio. If you join a gym, speak to a personal trainer about the best regimen to follow for healthy weight loss and toning. It is recommended that you work out for at least 30 minutes, three times a week to lose weight.
Additionally, eating a healthy diet will also help you to lose weight not only in your face and chin, but all over. Lean meat, low-fat dairy products, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains will help you to burn off fat, while maintaining a nutritious diet. You should also reduce the amount of salt and sugar you consume; salt and refined sugar lead to water retention, which makes your face appear fatter.
Certain medications can also cause water retention, leading to a puffy face. If you’re currently taking medication, ask your doctor if it causes water retention and if they can recommend any alternatives. Alcohol also causes water retention, and contains a lot of empty calories, mostly from sugar. If you’re trying to lose weight, either try to cut down on your alcohol consumption or cut it out entirely.
On the other hand, drinking plenty of water is a great way to reduce a double chin. If you don’t get enough water, your body goes into “panic mode” and starts to store water, leading to a swollen look. That’s why you should drink at least 64 ounces of water a day, or eat fruits and vegetables that have enough water to keep you hydrated.
Of all the double chin exercises, sitting up straight is the easiest. Not only is it good for your posture, but it will also reduce the look of your double chin and strengthen your jaw muscle, preventing fat from accumulating under the chin. If your job requires you to sit for long periods, use an ergonomic, posture-correcting chair. Also, get up and walk around for a couple of minutes at least once an hour.
In terms of double chin exercises that are easy, chewing gum is also the tastiest. Surprisingly, chewing gum is helpful in reducing the look of a double chin since it exercises the jaw muscles and face, helping to burn off excess fat. As an added bonus, it also keeps the skin on your face firm.