There are plenty of homemade beauty tips for making your own natural body scrubs and face creams, but one area of anti-aging skin care that often gets neglected is your lips. As you get older, your lips can start to look thinner and duller, which certainly won’t make you look any younger.
Why You Need Lip Beauty Tips
Like your skin, it’s collagen that helps make lips appear full and supple, but as we age, the level of collagen in our bodies naturally dip. The loss of bone mass that comes with aging also contributes to older-looking lips; without the same structural support in the face, lips can sometimes appear more sunken than they really are. On top of all this, remember that, unlike the rest of your skin, your lips don’t have sebaceous glands, which means they can’t keep themselves hydrated and are more susceptible to dryness, flaking, and even wrinkles and creases. That’s why lip care is so essential for anti-aging skin care. In fact, you’d be surprised at how much using homemade lip balm recipes can do to enhance your overall appearance.
Although makeup can help to give the illusion of fuller, younger-looking lips, it’s a short-term fix that can actually exacerbate the problem if you’re not careful. On the other hand, the right lip beauty tips can restore some of the moisture and help to naturally improve lip health, so you won’t need to rely on makeup to look and feel confident and beautiful. The nice thing about homemade beauty tips, whether it’s for your lips or another part of anti-aging skin care, is that you can customize the mixtures based on your individual needs. Plus, you know exactly what’s going in it, which is why homemade is the way to go if you want the best organic skin care and beauty products.
Keep reading for recipes and natural beauty tips on to make the best organic skin care products for your lips. The recipes might involve a little more than just mixing a couple of ingredients together, but we assure you that they’re totally worth trying out and one batch will last you quite a while.
Homemade Beauty Tips for Exfoliating Lips
Before you apply any lip balm, you should exfoliate them first to remove any dry, flaky skin, as well as any dead skin cells resting on the surface so that healthy new cells can take their place.
Mixing your own lip exfoliator is one of the easiest homemade beauty tips; you only really need two ingredients. Just mix a tablespoon of white or brown sugar into a dash of honey to create a gritty paste. Then gently massage the mixture onto your lips using small, circular motions before rinsing it off. Because it’s all natural, you don’t have to worry about getting some in your mouth. Instead of the honey, you can also use olive or coconut oil in its place. Here are a few other combinations you can try for even more homemade beauty tips to exfoliate lips:
• Petroleum jelly + sugar
• Coconut oil + honey + sugar + fresh lemon juice
• Honey + sugar + fresh lime juice
• Sugar + maple syrup + coconut oil + ground ginger + ground cinnamon
Another way to exfoliate your lips, especially if they’re extremely chapped, is to put a bit of petroleum jelly on a very soft-bristled toothbrush and then gently rub it over your lips. The brush exfoliates while the jelly moisturizes; leave the jelly on your lips afterwards to continue conditioning. To keep lips healthy and flake-free, you should exfoliate two to three times week, depending on how chapped they are. Always follow it up with a moisturizing lip balm (more on that coming up.).
Homemade lip balm recipes might sound like complicated as far as natural beauty tips go, but they’re quite simple (even fun) once you get the hang of them. The key ingredient in most homemade lip balm recipes is the wax, which is what gives it the right texture. To get started with a simple recipe, here’s a list of what you’ll need:
• 3 teaspoons of unbleached beeswax (grated)
• 5 teaspoons of jojoba oil (sunflower or castor oil works, too)
• 6-7 drops of an essential oil
• 1 teaspoon of honey
Start by melting the beeswax. Using a double boiler with water in the bottom half would be the easiest way to do this, but if you don’t have one, you can use any large pot filled with one to two inches of boiling water. Put the wax in a smaller metal bowl or pot and place it over top of the big pot—ideally, the bottom of the small pot should sit on top of the bigger pot without getting submerged in any of the water. The wax should melt at about 145 degrees Fahrenheit. You may need to periodically add more water to the big pot if it evaporates, as you should never let the pot run completely dry. Once the wax starts melting, stir in the jojoba oil.
Once you’ve melted the wax, the rest of the steps for homemade lip balm recipes are a breeze. Remove the melted wax and oil from the heat and then add the honey and essential. Just make sure to stir thoroughly so that the mixture doesn’t get clumpy. If you want to add a bit of a tint to your homemade lip balm, just add a dab of lipstick. Then pour your lip balm mixture into small containers and let it sit untouched and uncovered for 20 minutes to settle and solidify. Then cover and store so it’s ready when you need it.
Alternatively, here are two more combinations for homemade lip balm recipes you can try:
• One part beeswax with two parts coconut oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil
• One part beeswax with two parts shea or cocoa butter, two parts coconut oil, and 15 to 20 drops of essential oil (peppermint oil is a good one)
Other Natural Beauty Tips for Your Lips
In addition to using these homemade beauty tips, there are a few other steps you can take to ensure that your lips always look their best:
• When your lips feel chapped, avoid the urge to lick them. Although it might seem like it provides temporary relief, your saliva will actually end up drying them out more.
• Quit smoking. It strips away what little natural moisture your lips have and can lead to more fine lines around the mouth area.
• Don’t pick at your lips. It can be tempting to nibble at patches of flaky skin, but this can lead to bleeding and patches of raw skin.
• If you have very dry lips, the best beauty advice with regards to homemade beauty tips is to avoid lipsticks with a matte finish, as they can emphasize dryness and peeling.
• Drink water. It’s probably one of the most basic natural beauty tips, but like the rest of your skin, your lips will look healthier if your body is well hydrated.
• Protect your lips from the sun. Like the rest of your body, the skin on your lips needs just as much protection from harmful UV rays. Even if you use homemade lip balm recipes, make sure to apply a layer of sunscreen or a SPF-enriched lip balm underneath.